Hi there. Can I tell you what I dream of doing?
My vision is to make cities self-sustainable on food production based on circular bioeconomy production models and using renewable energy.
It's all part of making a better world.
Self-sustainable cities are the solution to gain food sovereignty, grow an environmentally conscious society, reduce mobility, waste and carbon footprint, and a strategy to be more resilient to the climate emergency.
This is really going to help people.
Self-sustainable cities are for the benefit of the entire population. It is the way to stop corporate monopolies to control the food trade which create socioeconomic and environmental injustice.
It's not just about having an idea though - here are the things I know I can achieve:
1. CIRCULAR ECONOMY: Grow a strong local (national) economy based on the democratic control of food production, reconnecting producers and consumers, and being less dependent on external inputs.
2. BIODIVERSITY and SOCIOCULTURAL VALUES: Implement agroecology as a model of agricultural production system adapted to the territory.
3. EFFICIENCY and RECYCLING: Reduce food imports and increase resource-use efficiency, which minimizes waste and pollution.
I'm going to make this happen, and this is how I know it'll make a difference.
1. Percentage of local producers/retailers who have transitioned from producing/selling conventional agricultural products to agroecological ones.
2. Measure efficiency by comparing yields (Land Equivalent Ratios, LER) from integrated agroecological systems versus conventional agriculture.
3. Measure waste and carbon footprint produced from agroecological systems versus conventional agriculture.
Thanks for listening to me. Will you help me build a better world?